lördag 13 april 2013

About bacon


I have always been a big fan of bacon. It's salty, slightly smoky aroma compliment eggs or bread well. I only allow myself this meat product a few times every month, since it's not exactly the healthiest snack available.

Usually, I buy the regular pre-packed bacon because it's cheaper than the side pork cuts that you can get from the meat counter.
HK "American Bacon". Most popular bacon in Finland. 
There are quite big quality differences between different brands of bacon. For example, the one that's available for purchase in Lidl has a quite distinct taste (of preservatives according to some). HK's variety, pictured above, is probably my favourite pre-packed kind. It has a balanced flavour with just the right amount of salt and a relatively high meat content. 


When frying bacon, I put very little flavouring on it as the meat taste itself is quite delicious. Usually, the only thing required (or not required, depending on personal preferences) is a hint of oregano and thyme. These two herbs both have a very subtle flavour, that compliments the meat taste well without overshadowing it.
¨
Today, I decided to celebrate the weekend by purchasing premium side cuts of meat. I went to the local meat disk and asked for "sidfläsk" (swedish for side cut) and got 4 fine pieces of it for about 1 euro. That's a perfect amount to put on a regular finnish rye bread sandwich.


I combined the fried side cuts (flavoured with a hint of black pepper and salt) with goat cheese and sliced tomatoes. Under it all, I used a fresh cheese called Viola (with blue cheese flavouring). I was quite satisfied with this afternoon snack, especially since I hadn't made such a combination before.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Inga kommentarer: